- In terminal run the following command ls /dev/tty.usb* , this will list all the USB serial devices on your system. In my case there was nothing listed after I plugged in the GPS so I knew there was a problem with the driver.
- I was able to figure out that my particular unit uses a Prolific chipset
- Download the driver from here: [Driver Page] [Direct Link]
- Run the installer and remember to allow the driver to be loaded in System Preference–> Security & Privacy
- Run the ls /dev/tty.usb* command again. You should now have a new entry along the lines of /dev/tty.usbserial
- You can now view the output of the unit with the following command screen /dev/tty.usbserial 9600
I recently bought a small USB GPS receiver from eBay. The listing does not give an indication that it can work on OSX but after a bit of detective work I was able to get it working on OSX 10.13.